Monday 28 January 2008

Africa here I come!

Well this is it! After all the months of waiting I'm finally flying out tonight. My first stop will be Nairobi where ActionAid has its African regional headquarters. I'm travelling with three colleagues who will all be working in the same role as me in different ActionAid offices around the continent.

The excitement and anticipation of the last few months has however suddenly given way to anxiety and nervousness. The reality of what I'm doing is finally sinking in. I'm going off to a far flung part of the world where I don't know anybody. My surroundings will be unfamiliar to say the least. Worst of all, I'll be away from Teresa, my wonderful fiancee who I've been together with for over seven years now! This is not good...

On the positive side, I'm looking forward to the new challenges that lie ahead. I'm getting to know a country I'd probably never have visited if it hadn't been for this job and I'll meet new people with very different backgorunds from my own. I'm aware all this is starting to sound rather clichéd so I'll sign off now. I'm sure I'll read this back in about a month's time and laugh!

No comments: